Intriguing Reading #19

Posted on | March 24, 2012 | 7 Comments |

My regular roundup of interesting reads, found from all over the place.

Isn’t it Time We Had a Female James Bond?: “I want to see Jane coolly and competently flipping people out of the ejector seat in her Aston Martin, taking down the bad guy in one shot while surrounded by a hail of bullets, and escaping from the scene in a tank or something. We tell girls that they can do anything, but the action heroes are usually dudes, and while the Bond girls are getting cooler…they’re still the Bond girls, you know? I want to see Bond BOYS. And girls, because, hey, maybe Jane rolls that way.” (s.e. smith / xojane)

A Transgender Manual of Style: “So… I’ve been meaning to get some kind of glossary put together for a long, long, long while… but it occurred to me lately that also a lot of people have some additional trouble with knowing HOW to use trans terminology. So I wanted to make a little go-to reference guide, which I’ll probably set up as a static page (and expand after receiving whatever input or questions come along in the comments).” (Natalie Reed)

Why Is It Creepy To Think About Parents Having Sex?: ” The context of the activities behind the closed door becomes mythologized and the message is communicated to children that the locked door hides guilty indulgence in shameful activities, as attested by the trauma that unwittingly witnessing what Freud indelibly designated as “the primal scene” can often cause.” (Rebecca Chalker / Dodson and Ross)

Guest Post: A Doctor on Transvaginal Ultrasounds: “Our position is to recommend medically-indicated tests and treatments that have a favorable benefit-to-harm ratio… and it is up to the patient to decide what she will and will not allow. Period. Politicians do not have any role in this process. NO ONE has a role in this process but the patient and her physician. If anyone tries to get in the way of that, it is our duty to run interference.” (Dr. Anonymous / Whatever)

Calling all kinkster hippie sluts: “Hello, deviant. Hello, kinkster pervert hippie slut. Hello, you who are reading this right now, fondling your whips or shopping for fine fetish wear or perhaps merely squirming gently in your office chair, eager to find out more about all these titillating keywords because, you know, mmmm.” (Mark Morford / SFGate)

Historian uncovers Australia’s censored books: “More than 90 per cent of titles were banned for obscenity and the rest were banned for sedition or blasphemy, although the number of titles banned for blasphemy in Australia has actually been very few. We can break that down to all kinds of representations of intimacy and sexuality, that for many contemporary readers now seem like ordinary parts of our lives.” (Nicole Moore, quoted by ABC News)

The Cotton Ceiling. Really.: “I’m a queer woman. I love women. I am absolutely open to dating and fucking trans* people, including trans women. You don’t get to dictate to me whom I am attracted to. You don’t get to tell me what girl love means. I realize that my bisexuality might cloud this issue, but let me assure you that there exist full-blooded lesbians who feel the same way. Let’s put it this way: I can also have completely male-free lady sex involving a penis at any time with a cis woman. It’s called a strap-on. A penis doesn’t make someone male; I speak from a place of experience here.” (quizzical pussy)

The New School

Comments

7 Responses to “Intriguing Reading #19”

1. Carol Anne Caiafa
    March 25th, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Sorry if this is off-topic – but I think I saw you at the roller derby last night!

If you might have got a glimpse of me – I was in total black and white. <3

2. Carol Anne Caiafa
    March 25th, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

BTW hope that didn’t sound creepy – didn’t mean to be! :)

March 25th, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

Not at all! Was delighted you spotted me – only sad you didn’t come and say hi! I mean, you know what I look like, but there were a whole lot of people there and I have no idea which of the people in black and white was you :)

4. Anon
    March 25th, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

We are seeing more movie scripts and roles for female leads which kind of gravitates towards “Jane Bond”.

The most recent one being Angelina Jolie as Evelyn Salt in SALT. And if rumors are true and the movie is to be believed, there are going to be a sequal and franchise around it. (alright, granted that’s more of a Jason Bourne-esque equivalent rather than straight up 007).

Otherwise, again, Angelina Joie as Lara Croft in Tomb Raider is a pretty strong female lead role… and that frachise is being rebooted next year with Olivia Wilde (from House/Tron Legacy), granted, that’s a Indiana Jones equivalent rather than 007.

Then there is the Resident Evil franchise with Milla Jovovich as Alice… but that’s zombies rather than secret government agent.

And the 007 franchise has been going ups and downs and… downs ever since actually. So maybe the problem with not having a “Jane Bond” has more to do with the fact there isn’t much of an audience for it…. now glowy vampires and zombies and transforming robots on the other hand…

March 28th, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

Interesting comment, Anon – and funnily enough, I’ve always preferred James Bond (both the books and the movies) to any of the other franchises you’ve mentioned. And I say that as a massive sci-fi and fairly big gaming fan, too.

6. Carol Anne Caiafa
    March 31st, 2012 @ 5:16 am

YAY, glad you didn’t think I was creepy! Believe me, I would have come and said hi but I was upstairs and you were downstairs when I saw you and wasn’t sure stadium security would have let me in… next time I will definitely come and say hello if I spot you, I am a derby regular! And sorry the dildo review is taking so long. I just found it hard to find the manufacturers. But never fear, I went in and asked D-Vice personally and I should be getting it together soon! :D

April 2nd, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

No stress, Carol Anne – take your time!