Don’t Be Afraid of Your Freedom

Posted on | August 19, 2011 | 6 Comments |

Does anyone else have their own theme-song? You know – the one song, that whenever you listen to it, feels thematic/resonates with your life? And cheers you the hell up to boot!

Me, I most definitely do – which is good, as it means I have something to write about.  I’ve had a theme for as long as I can remember, and while it has changed a few times, I’ve had the same one now for the best part of twenty years.

Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper

When I was a child I had a perpetual adoration of ‘Putting on the Ritz’ by Taco. Yes, really. Why? In retrospect, I have no idea. Super duper! What I really did like was the notion of being able to cheer yourself up simply by changing what you were wearing – and the rhythm was very catchy.

It’s still catchy now – that was fun to replay!

Bonus links: Fred Astaire doing the original in 1946; Taco’s music video with painful-to-see-now blackface.

I’m not the same as all the rest

My brother put together the music for my 21st birthday celebration (partly with my assistance), and while most of it was awesome music we were both familiar with from growing up, there were a few that had managed to pass me by until that point. He’d put them all on cassette tapes – so I could play them all in the car long after the party had been and gone.  And so it was that, after mum had killed herself and I had then had my breakdown, that Chesney Hawkes came to my rescue.

(Stoppit. I mostly have excellent musical taste. These songs resonated!)

The upbeatness and determination of ‘I Am the One and Only’  were just what I needed as I started the process of determining who I wanted to be – as opposed to who I had grown up being. And that’s a long process that’s taken a decade, and is still ongoing. Chesney reminds me I can do that. You can’t take that away from me.

Bonus links: The very dated music video (for a movie called ‘Buddy’s Song’); Sam Rockwell waking up to it in ‘Moon’.

Don’t be afraid of your freedom

Chesney was, however, a small blip in the long-time adoration I have had for the song that sums up my life. This song reminds me, every time, that I am awesome and that I can live the life I want to. I’ve loved it since my early teens, and will probably still love it twenty years from now.

Some of you may have figured it out from the title … for the rest of you, it’s Soup Dragons ‘I’m Free’:

I said love me, hold me

Love me, hold me

’cause I’m free to do what I want any old time

I’m free to be who I choose any old time

Who doesn’t love that reminder?

Bonus links: The Rolling Stones version; and an epic mashup of Elvis Presley vs. Soup Dragons: A Little Free Conversation.

What’s your theme song, if you have one? Share in the comments!

Comments

6 Responses to “Don’t Be Afraid of Your Freedom”

1. Tethys
    August 19th, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

Previously i probably would have said “Wandering Star”, by Portishead (song, lyrics) but currently i’d probably have to say “Where do ya draw the line”, by Dead Kennedys (song, lyrics).

2. Catharine
    August 20th, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

Now I want a theme song! It seems I really am trying to copy everything you do! I love that one of yours was Chesney Hawkes.

I’m not sure what mine could be. I did get Burn, by Rainbow sang to me all the time for a while after I set fire to the kitchen while making candles. That wasn’t so good.

3. Kiwiana
    August 20th, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

When I was younger mine (self appointedly so, and perhaps with thoughts of freedom) “I get Around” by the Beach Boys…
    These days “Golden Dawn” by Golden Horse will always be my Love anthem.

And in antithesis, and perhaps comforting and homely somehow Pink Floyd’s Lyrics “We’re just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year, running over the same old ground, what have we found… wish you were here”

I’m struggling to recall an anthem for just my current me though… (Queen’s Fat bottomed Girls?)

There’s one song that’s always on my playlist though and it describes how I’d like my life to be. And you have to run the visuals from the Telecom NZ ad with it (Middle aged couple waking up in their beach side house on the West coast, she jumps up late for a meeting which she has at the kitchen table on her laptop in her robe while he paints her toenails). Groove Armada At the River. “If you’re fond of sand dunes and salty air and quaint little villages here and there”

August 23rd, 2011 @ 10:01 am

It really is interesting see what appeals to other people! Tethys, I really like ‘Wandering Star’ – and while I like the lyrics of the Dead Kennedys song I find the music … not my style.

Catharine, I really want to know how the hell you managed to set fire to the kitchen! Tell me more?

I don’t know how I’d never heard Golden Dawn before, Kiwiana! It’s lovely :)

5. Catharine
    August 24th, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

Well, I didn’t set fire to the whole kitchen, just enough of it to make me look like an idiot. :p

I was making candles and accidentally poured some wax onto the hob. And it set alight, so it was a little puddle of wax with flames. So I panicked, and threw a glass of water over it, so it turned into a great big fireball! It died down almost straight away, but still, I am a muppet!

August 25th, 2011 @ 8:46 am

Now there’s a thought – perhaps you need to take photos of your pretty boobies with muppets (or wax)?

Not fire, though.