No Sir, I Don’t Like It!

Posted on | January 12, 2010 | 13 Comments |

There’s nothing quite like a new experience. But I don’t think I like this one – I have a UTI. For those who don’t get the acronym: a Urinary Tract Infection.

Not so sexy.

On the bright side, I don’t have the burning sensation when peeing, or the peeing of blood. (I feel so lucky.) No, I just have the strong desire to pee, all the time. Like there’s something pressing on my bladder. Gah.

Really not so sexy.

Where is gets funny, of course, is the doctor’s rooms. I found time to drop in, but without an appointment I was taking the chance of not being seen. Luckily for me, the receptionist was very helpful once I’d had to tell her why I was there, and I didn’t have to wait long before getting to do the fun ‘pee-into-a-plastic-bowl-and-then-pour-it-into-a-jar’ routine (I managed not to pee on my hand. Go me!).

The nurse confirmed pretty fast that I did indeed have a UTI, and then the doctor whisked me off to her office for the doctoring part of the visit.

“You just got married, didn’t you?” (She’s thinking it’s ’cause of all the sex.)

“Er, no. Until three and a half years ago is recent?”

“Having more sex than normal?”

“Nope. About the same.” (Of course, that’s a fair amount.)

“Anything else you can think of?”

[wondering] “It’s not because of the thrush treatment, is it?”

She looks at me like I’m an idiot. But what do I know?

“Er, there was anal play last week. Does that help?”

We finally conclude it was probably the anal play. But that was an entire seven days ago, and I was on antibiotics at the time. Why it chose 2:45am this morning to infect my urinary tract, I have no idea.

Still. I leave with a script for different antibiotics, and more thrush treatment. Not to mention a feeling that everyone who’s ever had a UTI (receptionist, doctor, pharmacist) sympathises with someone who has a UTI.

So tonight I’m seeing Hylas for the first time in a week. All I want to do is curl up on the couch and feed him food, and watch Monk and maybe kiss some. And drink the cranberry juice he’s thoughtfully gone and bought for me.

No sir, I don’t like it. But even when it sucks, my life is pretty damned good.

Comments

13 Responses to “No Sir, I Don’t Like It!”

1. iona
    January 12th, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

Oh Dee! I am well familiar with these. They can get to you anytime – the bacteria is always there and can be as simple as your immune system being lower than usual.

GO Hylas! Cranberry is the best for me (usually does the trick) – but in GREAT quantities. Like a litre per hour for three hours straight. Sounds insane but it took me from the pissing blood stage to nothing in that time. I’ve also had one that refused to budge regardless of cranberry so antibiotics was the answer there. Oh when you are buying it watch the percentage of actual cranberry in the drink; it varies a lot!

2. Hylas
    January 12th, 2010 @ 11:25 pm

Yup, most of the bottles I looked at had about 18% juice, but the one I bought had 27%.

3. Garnet Joyce
    January 13th, 2010 @ 9:04 am

I hate hate hate UTIs! Luckily haven’t had one in a long time since I haven’t been w a man in years and years. Sounds like you’ve been pretty lucky though. The peeing all the time I don’t mind that much. Its the burning I can really do without.

4. nilla
    January 13th, 2010 @ 9:05 am

Sorry about your UTI…they suck and not in a good way. Keep drinkin’ the juice. If you hate it straight you can cut it with a bit of ginger ale…do you have ginger ale in Kiwiland?

hug and speedy healing whammies…
    nilla

5. Hazazel
    January 13th, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Aww. I sympathise. I’ve only had one once, but that was enough! My sweetie bought me cranberry juice too. :) Boys are lovely.

He delivered it to my work, where it prompted sympathetic comments from most of the (almost entirely female) staff. They knew what a big bottle of cranberry juice meant. I laugh now… at the time I was mortified!

January 13th, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

You are all wonderful! I’m not drinking the cranberry quite that fast (I really dislike the taste), but getting through it. Cutting with ginger ale sounds like a grand idea!

I’m also on a broad-spectum antibiotic (once a day for five days), and already feeling somewhat better!

7. floatingmischeif
    January 13th, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

I hate hate those tooo. I read that sugar is helpful to the bacteria so should be avoided as much as poss. One remedy that I used last time when slightly short of cash and away from home and it works, is to drink a lot of water but it was recommended warmish water, sip it every ten mintues. I cant remember why but it does help. Hot water bottle too helps as does avoiding peeing too often( only a male doc would come up with that suggestion lol)
    Hope Hylas is a great help

January 13th, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

Thanks mischeif! I’ve been drinking a lot of water (when I’m not drinking cranberry) to help flush my system. It all seems to be working, which is good!

And I have been avoiding peeing too often, but it’s damned hard to tell when I actually have to go, when I just feel like I do.

9. Truly
    January 14th, 2010 @ 9:00 am

Ouch, UTIs are awful. Hope it clears up fast.

January 14th, 2010 @ 9:04 am

Two days later, and it’s considerably better. Thankfully!

11. Dana
    January 14th, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

Ouch. You are lucky to go without the stinging and blood I must say – but it was the inability to sleep because I felt like urinating so frequently that pushed me to tears. :(

Glad you’re better! I have actually treated a UTI with exclusively cranberry pills (you really want unsweetened, un-watered-down cranberry juice but that’s hard to find so pills do it) and chili pills (for the pain) successfully – but antibiotics are much quicker. Hopefully they don’t exacerbate your thrush!

12. Nzlg
    January 14th, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

Oo ouch! Im not a fan but it comes with the diabetic territory.. One thing I find works a treat? A tablespoon of apple cider or even just cider vinegar in the morning and at night before bed PLUS the warm water through out the day. It has no sugar so doesnt add to the thrush/UTI issue.. ;)

January 14th, 2010 @ 9:17 pm

There are cranberry pills out there? I’ll definitely remember that if I get another infection.

No sign of re-emergent thrush so far. Fingers crossed!